Saturday, September 29, 2012

August 4th, Dirt Roads and Pygmy Goats.


Today we went up to Kumasi. I mentioned this before, but I saw so many crazy things during the drive, that I figured I should show some pictures. I wish I got more, but it was a little hard to take good shots with the bumpiness of the road (or lack of road). We were Kumasi-bound for maybe 6 hours and grabbed food at a rest stop. Here are some cool sights!

You can’t really tell, but this dirt road stretched on for soso many miles. No lanes, just trucks and buses working around goats, people, potholes, and other trucks and buses. What’s more, this red dirt stains everything. The air is thick with this stuff and when I got back to the hotel my laptop was covered with a film of it, which I can’t get off. My clothes and hair also have a red tint to them now. Also, I’m pretty sure I ingested way too much of this stuff, because I keep sneezing.

Usually when someone visits my family in New York, they take pictures of the squirrels. To a native New Yorker, it just shows you haven’t been here long. But I’m pretty sure it’s a universal trend. In Alaska, it’s the Caribou that get tourists excited; In Mexico, it’s the iguanas; and in New York, it’s the squirrels. So it makes sense that in Ghana, I kept taking pictures of the cute little pigmy goats that roamed the streets.

The road is surrounded by these villages, which look like they need a power hose taken to them. Like I said, the dirt is infectious. And absolutely everything has a red tint. Miles between each town, we’d see people walking with jugs of water on their heads, large bags in their hands, or their children slung to their backs. I don’t know their story, but I’m sure they walk more each day than I ran in high school.

Here’s the one picture I wish I got: A bull and some people, chilling in the back of a pick up truck.
Yes, I swear I saw it.

No comments:

Post a Comment